Sunday, June 2, 2013

FMC Renews Subsea Agreement with Statoil

FMC Technologies announced Tuesday that it has signed a renewed Framework Agreement with Statoil to provide subsea operations services for its developments on the Norwegian Continental Shelf. The duration of the agreement is five years with options for three additional three-year extensions.

Under the terms of the agreement, previously announced by Statoil, FMC Technologies will continue to provide installation services, asset management, equipment intervention and well access services.

"FMC Technologies has supported Statoil's subsea development efforts for more than two decades," said Tore Halvorsen, FMC Technologies' Senior Vice President, Subsea Technologies. "This agreement will provide continued life-of-field support for many of Statoil's developments."

Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

View the original article here

Shell Gets Clearance for Chinese Shale Project

Shell Gets Clearance for Chinese Shale Project

BEIJING - Royal Dutch Shell PLC said Tuesday it has received approval from the Chinese government for the company's first shale-gas production-sharing contract in China, a significant milestone as the country looks to tap potentially massive unconventional gas reserves and achieve ambitious shale-gas production targets.

Li Lusha, a spokeswoman for Shell, said the Chinese government has approved the Anglo-Dutch company's plan to explore, develop and produce shale gas with partner China National Petroleum Corp. in the Fushun-Yongchuan block in the Sichuan Basin.

Word of the government's approval comes more than a year after Shell and state-oil giant CNPC said they reached a deal in March 2012 to develop the shale reserves. The companies haven't disclosed details of the contract, but the approval suggests authorities in Beijing have developed the regulatory framework needed to spur wider international investment in developing its shale reserves.

China is looking to replicate a boom in North American natural-gas production, which has begun reshaping global energy markets. Chinese companies need international competitors such as Shell to lend technology and operational expertise in extracting the gas trapped in shale rock formations.

Shell Chief Executive Peter Voser said in Beijing on Tuesday that the company is gearing up for what he described as a "significant drilling season in 2013 and in 2014."

Mr. Voser said Shell and CNPC are continuing to explore which drilling locations are best-suited for long-term development and production, and said the company is committed to helping Beijing achieve its shale-gas production targets.

China has set a target of producing some 6.5 billion cubic meters a year of shale gas by 2015 and as much as 100 billion cubic meters a year by 2020, up from virtually zero in 2012. That is a target some analysts have been skeptical the country can achieve.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration has said China has an estimated 1,275 trillion cubic feet, or 36 trillion cubic meters, of technically recoverable shale-gas reserves, more than Canada and the U.S. combined. If extracted, unconventional reserves could help alter China's energy profile, which has become increasingly reliant on imported oil and polluting coal to power its economic growth.

Such massive estimates are sending Shell's international rivals into the market as well. Chevron Corp., for example, has drilled at least one exploratory well in China and has plans for more, but company executives have cited a shortage of infrastructure and geological data as among the reasons it expects slower progress compared with North America.

Soaring gas production in North America has helped lower fuel prices for chemical production and other industrial activity. In also has raised the prospect of liquefied-natural-gas exports from Canada and the U.S. during the coming decade. Mr. Voser reiterated earlier estimates that U.S. exports of LNG might hit 50 million to 60 million tons a year, but said he expects much of the U.S. gas to remain at home to be used as a replacement for coal in power generation and to build up domestic industry.

"I think LNG will be exported out of the United States but I see the volume as being limited," he said. 

Copyright (c) 2012 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

View the original article here

Finalists Selected for UK O&G Safety Awards

Industry body Oil & Gas UK reported Wednesday that it and its partner Step Change in Safety have shortlisted the finalists for the 2013 UK Oil and Gas Safety Awards. Seven awards will be presented on the day of the event, which is scheduled for April 24 at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre.

A new prize has been created this year: an Award for Workforce Engagement, which will be contested by Shell UK, Cosalt Offshore and Global Producer 3.

Other awards for Safety Leadership, Safety Representative of the Year, Preventative Safety Action, Most Promising Individual, Innovation in Safety and Ideas in Safety will see 15 other firms – including majors and independents like BP, Marathon, Nexen and TAQA Bratani – considered for recognition.

Oil & Gas UK Health and Safety Director Robert Paterson commented in a statement:

"Once again, I'm pleased to say we've seen a very high calibre of entries to the UK Oil and Gas Industry Safety Awards. I'd like to congratulate all the finalists and wish them all the very best of luck on the day."

Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

View the original article here

FMC Renews Subsea Agreement with Statoil

FMC Technologies announced Tuesday that it has signed a renewed Framework Agreement with Statoil to provide subsea operations services for its developments on the Norwegian Continental Shelf. The duration of the agreement is five years with options for three additional three-year extensions.

Under the terms of the agreement, previously announced by Statoil, FMC Technologies will continue to provide installation services, asset management, equipment intervention and well access services.

"FMC Technologies has supported Statoil's subsea development efforts for more than two decades," said Tore Halvorsen, FMC Technologies' Senior Vice President, Subsea Technologies. "This agreement will provide continued life-of-field support for many of Statoil's developments."

Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

View the original article here

Eagle Ford Impact on South Texas to Keep Growing

Eagle Ford Impact on South Texas to Keep Growing

Eagle Ford shale play activity in 2012 had an economic impact of $46 billion and supported over 86,000 jobs in the 14-county area in South Texas where Eagle Ford activity is more active, counties in South Texas, according to a report from UTSA's Center for Community and Business Research (CCBR).

The new study includes a 2012 update of direct, indirect and induced economic impacts by county in the 14-county and 20-county regions of the Eagle Ford shale. The report also provides a more comprehensive analysis of the economic impact in the Eagle Ford in regards to construction projects completed in 2012, crude oil transportation infrastructure, impacts on Texas Gulf Coast, impacts on Texas high education, innovations and advancements in natural gas applications, increases in county sales taxes, and pipeline construction costs.

The Eagle Ford shale's economic impact on South Texas in 2022 is estimated to grow to over $61 billion and support 89,000 jobs, according to the CCBR's latest study. The latest study released by CCBR focuses specifically on the impacts of 14 counties that are most active in the Eagle Ford play. These include Atascosa, Bee, DeWitt, Dimmit, Frio Gonzales, Karnes, La Salle, Live Oak, Maverick, McMullen, Webb, Wilson and Zavala.

Other impacts of Eagle Ford activity on the 14-county region include:

Roughly $3.3 billion in salaries and benefits paid to workersOver $800 million in local government revenuesState revenues including severance taxes are estimated at around $374 millionOver $22 billion in gross regional product (value added) impacts

However, significant activity beyond Eagle Ford exploration and drilling is occurring in six adjacent counties and are included in the analysis: Bexar, Jim Wells, Nueces, San Patricio, Uvalde and Victoria. In the larger 20-county area, Eagle Ford activity created over $61 billion in economic impact and supported 116,000 jobs last year. In 2022, the Eagle Ford's economic impact is estimated to grow to over $89 billion and support 127,000 jobs.

The Eagle Ford's impacts on the larger 20-county region in South Texas include:

$3.69 billion in payroll$28.43 billion in gross regional product (value added)$1.01 billion in total local revenues$1.24 billion estimated state revenue

Out of the top 10 industries within the Eagle Ford play in 2022, oil and gas extraction, support activities for oil and gas operations and drilling oil and gas wells will rank among the top three industries. The oil and gas extraction industry will have a total output of approximately $32 billion in 2022.

The CCBR in May 2012 released a study of the economic impact of the Eagle Ford which focused on production, drilling and related activities. In October 2012, the "Eagle Ford Shale Impact for Counties with Active Drilling" report provided a detailed image of challenges and opportunities emerging from drilling and production activities in South Texas.

CCBR also released in October of last year the report, "Workforce Analysis of the Eagle Ford Shale", which analyzed the impact of the Eagle Ford shale on the workforce of 20 South Texas counties and focused on occupational and workforce impacts including short term and long term effects on the region's workforce.

Karen Boman has more than 10 years of experience covering the upstream oil and gas sector. Email Karen at kboman@rigzone.com.

Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

View the original article here

Brazil's OGX Evaluating Funding Options for Concession Auction

RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian independent oil producer OGX Petroleo e Gas Participacoes SA plans to invest $1.3 billion in 2013, but that total doesn't include the company's potential participation in an important new auction of oil and natural-gas concessions, OGX's chief financial officer said Wednesday.

"We think that it is interesting for us to participate in the 11th bid round," CFO Roberto Monteiro said during a conference call with analysts. "But we are not disclosing at the moment how much we want to spend or even if we will participate."

Brazil is scheduled to hold the country's 11th auction of oil and natural-gas exploration blocks in May, the first such sale since December 2008.

OGX, part of billionaire Brazilian businessman Eike Batista's industrial empire, doesn't have the financial wiggle room to take on more debt, so participating in Brazil's 11th round auction of oil and natural-gas concessions will require "capital discipline," Mr. Monteiro said. OGX ended 2012 with $1.7 billion in cash.

Among the "alternatives" listed by Mr. Monteiro was a potential sale of a stake in some of OGX's exploration blocks and oil fields, where the company retains majority stakes of between 70% and 100%.

"We have some options still open," he said.

OGX had previously planned to sell a stake in its blocks in the Campos Basin, but never completed a deal.

During the conference call to discuss OGX's fourth-quarter earnings, company officials admitted disappointment with crude-oil output at the Tubarao Azul field. Lower-than-expected production at the field has not only weighed on the company's shares since mid-2012, but also dragged down shares of other companies under Mr. Batista's EBX Group umbrella. The production has generated concern among investors about the ability of his companies to generate returns.

"Production levels in the first two production wells stabilized at a rate below our earlier projections," Chief Executive Luiz Carneiro said during the call. That could result in a reduction in estimates for recoverable reserves at Tubarao Azul, currently projected at 110 million barrels of crude, the CEO added.

OGX officials also said that just because output at Tubarao Azul has been a disappointment doesn't mean that the results can be "extrapolated" to other fields such as Tubarao Martelo, which is expected to start production by year-end, Mr. Carneiro said.

The OSX-2 and OSX-3 floating production platforms should arrive in Brazil in the third quarter, Mr. Monteiro said. OSX-2 will be installed at the Tubarao Tigre, Tubarao Gato and Tubarao Areia fields, while OSX-3 will produce from the Tubarao Martelo field, the executive said.

A well-head platform will also arrive for installation at Tubarao Martelo "sometime mid-next year," Mr. Monteiro said.

Copyright (c) 2012 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

View the original article here

Crude-Oil Futures Settle up 1.6% at 5-Week High of $96.34/Barrel

U.S. crude-oil futures jumped 1.6% Tuesday to a five-week high spurred by signs of economic improvement in the world's biggest oil-consumer.

"The market is embracing the fact that the U.S. economy is doing better," said Phil Flynn, broker and analyst at Price Futures.

Benchmark oil futures also were aided in their push to the biggest single-day rise this year by continuing signs that a glut of oil in the Midwest--that weighed on prices--is being drained off.

The Commerce Department said U.S. spending on durable goods rose 5.7%, topping the 4% increase forecast by economists in a Dow Jones Newswires poll. Traders looked favorably on the data, even as a jump in civilian aircraft orders helped mask a decline in business investment in big-ticket items.

The strong durable goods showing was joined by indications of recovery in the housing market. U.S. home prices rose more than expected during January from a year earlier, the biggest increase since the summer of 2006, according to Standard & Poor's Case-Shiller home-price indexes.

But the Conference Board said U.S. consumer confidence fell more than eight points to 59.7 in March, amid economic uncertainty created by mandated federal budget cuts.

Andy Lebow, senior vice president for energy futures at Jefferies Bache LLC, said "traders live in great hope that the economic data translates into higher oil demand."

Light, sweet crude oil for May delivery on the New York Mercantile Exchange settled 1.6% higher at $96.34 a barrel, the highest price since Feb. 19. Front-month crude oil has gained 4.2%, or $3.89 a barrel in the past three sessions, vaulting higher after breaking through the top of a $91-$94 trading range that framed prices for the past month.

May ICE North Sea Brent crude oil settled $1.19 a barrel higher, $109.36 a barrel.

Brent's premium to the U.S. benchmark, which stood at $20 a month ago, dropped back to $13.02 a barrel, the lowest level since July 3, after falling below $12 a barrel in intraday trading.

Rising flows of North Sea oil after production snags were resolved in recent weeks is keeping pressure on Brent, as is weaker demand in Europe caused by refinery maintenance and the economic slowdown.

Gene McGillian, broker and analyst at Tradition Energy, said new investors continue to emerge in the market buying the Nymex contract and selling the Brent contract.

The U.S. benchmark has been gaining at the expense of Brent as increased volumes of domestic oil are moving out of the chokepoint at Cushing, Okla. down to Gulf Coast refineries, where they are grabbing market share from imported crudes and depressing Brent prices.

"We've seen Cushing levels drop below 50 million barrels as the bottleneck is easing," he said. "We've seen draws for the past two weeks and people are expecting more as folks are moving barrels by trains and trucks as well as the pipeline. That's really added more fuel to the bulls' fire."

Upcoming U.S. oil inventory data is expected to show crude oil stocks rose, despite a modest gain in refinery operations last week.

According to early estimates from five analysts surveyed by Dow Jones Newswires, U.S. crude oil inventories rose by 700,000 barrels in the week ended March 22.

The closely watched government survey from the Energy Information Administration is due to be released at 10:30 a.m. EDT Wednesday. The American Petroleum Institute, an industry group, is due to report its own data at 4:30 p.m. EDT Tuesday.

Forecasters expect the data to show gasoline stocks dropped by 900,000 barrels, while distillate stocks (heating oil and diesel fuel) fell by 600,000 barrels. Refiners are expected to boost operations by 0.3 percentage point to 83.8% of capacity, based on EIA's data.

Mark Waggoner, president of Excel Futures, said he expects declines in inventories of refined products, especially gasoline, will keep prices support as the spring-summer driving season approaches, boosting fuel demand.

April-delivery reformulated blendstock gasoline futures settled 4.8 cents higher, at $3.1106 a gallon. April heating oil settled 0.41 cent higher, at $2.8813 a gallon.

Copyright (c) 2012 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Post a Comment Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.

View the original article here