Friday, April 13, 2012

Mar 28, roustabout

by James T.
(California )

I'm currenty on active duty in the Marine Corps. In Afghanistan as of right now. My current service contract will end in the last part of 2013. Offshore oil drilling work is on the top of my list for careers I want to pursue once I enter the civilian job field.

By the end of this contract I'll have eight years experience as a helicopter mechanic, Quality Assurance along with other qualifications, and supervisory experience.

So far your site is the most informative I found; especially with the list of required certificates to become a roustabout.

My question: Some of the certificates you've listed I have through the Navy. Some were prerequisites to sea service aboard ship. I'm wondering if the Navy certificates will carry over into the civilian world or if I'll have to get the civilian equivilant. It's hard to research this because the internet out here sucks.
The three you listed as necassary were:
-"A seamans ticket or bridge-duty certificate"
How does one get this?
-"A BOSIET (Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training) Certificate"
I have Navy certification that would cover this area to include offshore fire fighting.
These two may have expired as it's been a couple years since I've been aboard ship. but if Navy certs will carry over it would be easy to renew them.
-"HUET (Helicopter Underwater Escape Training )Certificate)"
I'm helicopter aircrew. It's mandatory for me to maintain this. Along with water and sea survival.
The fork lift operators and the rest of the certificates you list the Navy or military has it's own equivilant but I don't know if they will carry over into the civilial world.

Like I said above, I have some time before I get out and start the job hunting adventure. I'm looking for information as to what I can do now to put myself in the front of the recruitment field later.

Thanks for any information,
James T.

ANSWER
Good job you guys are doing!

-"A seamans ticket or bridge-duty certificate"
How does one get this? NOT ESSENTIAL JUST UESFUL

-"A BOSIET (Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training) Certificate" MUST BE OPITO APPROVED nothing is accepted as a substitute as far as I know, it si a 4 day course and includes -"HUET (Helicopter Underwater Escape Training )Certificate)" so both are covered


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment